Man consists of three parts: Body, Soul, and Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:23, Hebrews 4:12) Death occurs when the soul and spirit are separated from the body. Death is not an extermination, it is a separation. There are four separations or deaths spoken of in the Bible.
PHYSICAL DEATH (Genesis 25:8)...(Abraham dies)
We learn that death is the dissolving of a union.
A. The body returns to dust, while the spirit returns to God who gave it Physical Death is also an end. 1. It terminates all relations earthly 2. It ends all plans 3. It severs all ties 4. It stops all toil and dislodges all possessions
SPIRITUAL DEATH (Romans 3:23)
There are people living physically, but spiritually they are dead, they are separated from God by their sins (Ezek. 18:20, Matt. 18:3).
They are living in the sins of the world and enjoying serving Satan. Drinking,cursing, swearing, adulterers, proud, despisers of good, etc.
But it is not necessary to be labeled as one of these to be spiritually dead. If you are not serving God daily and asking Him for guidance in the ways that you walk, you are spiritually separated from God. Death is a separation.
III. DEATH TO SIN
This starts with hearing the Gospel
The parable of the sower. (Matthew 13:3-9, 18-23)
Sower sowing seeds to hearts
Having heard they believe the Word of God
Jesus says he that believes not is already condemned.
Having heard and believed that Jesus was raised from the dead says "He that confesses Me before men I will confess before My Father in Heaven. If you deny Him, He will deny you. (Matt.10:32)
Jesus commands you to repent from your way of life and choose His. Die to the ways of sin. Turn from sin, and separate yourself from such. This is another death, a death to sin.
Romans 6:1-8 (read)
Jesus commands mankind to be baptized into His death for the remission of one’s sins so that you can receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (See Mark 16:15,16; Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:27)
Revelation 20:14...."The eternal death of everlasting fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire".
Death and Hades will be cast into the lake of fire.
Those who rejected the Son of God and turned their back on Him and died in their sins are found cast out forever.
This second death will be spent in a place of total darkness, isolation from God, a place of eternal torment, alone without friends, crying out for mercy and finding none...WAGES OF SIN...(Romans 6:23)
II Thesssalonians 1:8-9..."He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus.” They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His might.
This death can be avoided if you will only accept the third death now, that I have spoken to you about, the death of sin;
If you hear my message: the Book of Acts teaches one must:
a) believe in Jesus (16:31)
b) repent of your sins (17:30)
c) confess Jesus as your Savior (8:37)
d) be baptized into His death (2:38)
e) live a faithful Christian life (14:22)
f) be active in the church (2:47)
The death to sin can start a new life for you here, it can be a beginning of a life rather than the end of a life.
You do not know what living is unless you have a clear conscience toward God.
The writer of Hebrews 9:27..."It is appointed unto man once to die, but after this the judgment"....Not another probation; not annihilation; not an eternal sleep, but the judgment.
Christ will come back with His Saints. (The souls of those who are with Him now).
I Thessalonians 4:13-18, Jude 14....The bodies of the saved shall come forth from the grave glorified like that of Christ. The soul, spirit, and body will be united. Those alive shall be changed. We will all be caught up to be with the Lord...
Those who are not in Christ will be given a body, and judged and then death and Hades will be cast into Hell
You cannot go to Heaven outside of the Church, and the good moral person is like others that have not obeyed the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
CONCLUSION AND QUESTIONS:...
1) There are ____ types of death taught in the Bible. a) One b) Two c) Three d) Four e) Five
2) Everyone will go through ___ of them for sure, unless Jesus comes before death. a) Three b) Six
3) The Bible says all have sinned! (Romans 3:23) Therefore all have been spiritually separated from God or are spiritually dead. True or False
4) Bible says it is appointed unto man once to die, speaking physically. (Hebrews 9:27) True or False
5) The Bible says we must die to sin (the desire to sin). Therefore all will be separated from sin (having died to the desire to sin) or we will suffer the consequences. (Romans 6:3,4) True or False
6) By accepting the “death to sin” we shall escape the “second death”.
True or False
7) The Bible says there is a “second death” and all who refuse the “death to sin” in the name of Jesus Christ shall die this death, which is the eternal separation from God. True or False
8) When one visits a funeral home and looks into a coffin containing a dead body, it is said that the dead person has experienced “second death”. True or False.
9) When one learns God’s way to avoid eternal separation, should they become a Christian? Yes or No
10) Some will rise unto eternal life (heaven) and some unto eternal condemnation (hell). (John 5:28-29) True or False